Monday, March 31, 2014

Review: Rag & Bone Harrow Booties

 photo e9f89cfd-fb93-42a1-8d7d-2b199629628d_zps4e3d741c.jpg



Sizing - I've read reviews that say the shoes run small, and other reviews that said they ran large...it's all very confusing. But in the end, I made an executive decision to order my regular size 39 and they fit perfect. Perhaps a tad narrow initially (which was remedied after a few wears, when the leather stretched), but the length was spot-on.

Comfort - It has a very thick heel, so it provides a sturdy surface to prevent one from teetering around as they walk. As I mentioned above, the width is a tad narrow, especially when one wears socks, so taking it out on its virgin voyage for a long visit at the mall was not a good idea. That long visit was cut short because my feet were having shooting pains up the archs (which disappeared the moment I took my feet out and placed them on level ground) I have yet to wear them again on such a journey, but they comfortably withstand a day at work.

 photo d519a22e-74de-4a45-9741-0247302ccc22_zps7133f5bb.jpg

Quality - It is 100% leather (mmm...the smell of new leather...) and it is well-made. It did come with an odd white glaze over parts of the shoes that made it look like it went a-tramping around some snow banks that have been sprinkled with salt. Perhaps that is the look that was intended...I have no idea. I did try to rub it off, but to no avail. I suppose it can take the pressure out of trying to keep it shiny and pristine since it never was in the first place...Ha!

Price - Ridiculous. At $495....I'm sorry, but there's no other word for it. But then again, I am the idiot silly person who got them nevertheless. Because I am a weak, frivolous ninny (acceptance is half the battle). However, I didn't pay full price for it -- that would have been pushing it. I pounced when ShopBop had one of their promotions and got them at 25% off. Still an exorbitant price, but at least I would only have to sell one arm, rather than both.

 photo 0a07e94c-f490-4c12-b197-40bbc518632f_zps53664680.jpg

Versatility - One only has to Google "Harrow booties" and there will be a plethora of images and looks to gather inspiration from since these were quite the "It" item last year. A friend calls them my "pixie" boots, which actually, now that I've thought about it, they do kinda resemble. And I think that's cute. My only peeve is that it is not possible to wear socks with these because the front of the booties have a cleavage type detail that will make the socks visible (even my low-cut ones) and that is NOT a cute look to me. Until I can find something that is cut low enough, I shall have to wear this sans socks or with tights.

Would I Buy Them Again? Yes. They are well-made; they don't kill my feet; I wear them often enough since it pairs well with casual outfits, and tones down an excessively girly one; there's lots of colors and textures to choose from (smack me, but I am currently eying the grey nubuck ones)...And also, because I like expensive shoes. There's just something about them that makes one stand a little taller and walk more confidently down the hallways. And that, my friend(s)...is priceless.


1 comment:

  1. Hi! Thank you for your post! Have your boots stretched at all? I just purchased the harrow boots in black leather, similar to what you have, but I'm having a hard time with sizing - I am a 5.5 in shoes, bought the 36. I found the toe area to be snug and the back of the shoe loose - the heel slips when I walk. I am contemplating going down to a 35. I've read from various reviews that the suede harrow boots stretch, but have not seen anything about the leather ones stretching. What has been your experience? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete