Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Random Files: Spring Haul from Dorothy Perkins

I usually do a haul-type activity at the beginning of every season to perk my wardrobe up a bit. This spring, I ordered from Dorothy Perkins after successful purchases from other European brands like Topshop and Zara.

They have amazing dresses at absolutely amazing prices. There's usually a code for $ off plus free shipping to the US, so make sure to utilize that (I used a 15% off one for this order). The quality of the items are on par (exceed, even) with stores like H&M. 

As far as sizing, because European sizing is smaller than the US, I ordered almost everything in a size 4.

I got my package within a week of ordering, which seems crazy fast especially when compared to Topshop (who is owned by the same parent company), which also ships direct from England.

 photo dphaul1_zpsa4674cc0.png

1) Stripe Boxpleat dress, $29 - I have a stripes addiction -- specifically navy and white stripes. If something has it, chances are, I'll get it. This dress is adorable. I am anticipating it to be a workhorse for the summer.  

2) Sheer Insert dress in Blush, $44 - I loved, loved, loved this dress...but unfortunately, it did not love me. In my normal size 4, the bodice was simply too tight (stuffed in a sausage casing, anyone?) This is one where sizing up is advisable. This was a return for me, as they do not have an exchange program.

3) Waffle Skater dress in Ink, $35  - A love -- navy and white are probably most favorite combination. The dress (worn here) looks classic with just enough detailing to make it girly. The length is appropriate to be worn for work, and it can be worn both in the warmer and colder months.
  photo dphaul2_zps0c1c2782.png
  
4) Jersey Midi dress in Black, $12 - I got this in a size 2, because size 4 was unavailable. It fits perfectly. The cut and length of the skirt was perfect. The price ($12!!) was perfect. Makes me break out in a cold sweat when I remember the amount of $$ I've spent on Rachel Pally clothing that is essentially made of the same material.

5) Jersey camisole in Black, $17 - Basic camisole with adjustable straps, this top is nice and flowy. Even though it is a bit expensive for a basic top, it is the perfect staple that can be dressed up (shown here) or down.

6) Notch Neck dress in Ink - $39 - These type of pencil dresses are my HG dresses. They just exude the perfect amount of femininity and sensuality, whilst still being quite conservative. Sexy librarian chic, I call it. However, they are also the type of dresses that rarely fit well right off the rack. Because I have minimal fat around the small of my back (plenty elsewhere though!), I usually end up with a substantial amount of fabric bunching around there, looking like I have a second butt. It is the case for this dress. Else it fitted perfectly in a size 4. This was a return.

*****

The only unfortunate thing is that Dorothy Perkins does NOT offer free returns for orders to the US, unlike Topshop and ASOS, and there is no exchange policy.

 I had 2 items that didn't fit me quite right, and it cost $22 for me to ship it back to England via USPS. I'm afraid that is simply too expensive for me to risk having to pay for when ordering from them because it essentially negates the fabulous pricing and promotions that is offered (yes, I am cheap weird like that - I have no issues spending  $$ on items, but not when it is for something as "boring" as shipping)

So until they start offering free returns as well, I will be staying away.

No comments:

Post a Comment